An insight into the internet habits of the Middle East in one simple infographic.
We conducted a survey (with the assistance of our awesome friends over at Campus watch ) of over 100,000 participants from countries around the GCC and the Upper Levant. This project took us 3 months and over bazillion man-hours to complete. But we did it! Here are the results in a simple and easy to understand infographic format.
Here are some of the astounding results.
1. slightly over 40% of the entire Middle East region has access to broadband internet. That however is not the tip of the proverbial iceberg; the most important aspect of this number is that more than half this growth has happened over the last 3 years. And it is growing exponentially.
2. Bahrain rules the roost when it comes to internet penetration with 77%. The United Arab Emirates and Oman comes in 2nd and 3rd with 71% and 68 % respectively, of their population with easy access to internet. These numbers are internet penetration numbers which depend on the actual per capita number of users and not the total number of users. For example; Saudi Arabia (KSA) still has a much larger population than Bahrain, hence ranks low on the penetration scale as the total number of people in KSA is much higher .
3. 87% of people in the Middle East access the internet from work or from mobile devices. Which considering the actual number of individuals is a staggering number and worth keeping in mind as these are the individuals taht every internet marketer wants to target. This is greatnews for brands and companies who are looking at shifting their advertising budget to Google Adwords and Digital Advertising Spending.
4. Another very important discovery was that 50% of searches made on Google are done from work. One should bear this in mind when planning your next Google AdWords Campaign.
5. The E-commerce earning potential in the region is set to jump by over 20% to 15Billion dollars as 4 out of 5 people prefer to make purchases online as opposed to offline. These fundamental lifestyle changes will create a paradigm shift in the way people will make purchases in the near future.
6. Social Media is the hottest thing to be a part of at the moment. For those who can’t help but share their joys and woes with the rest of the world, do not fret as you are not alone. Over 80% of the Middle East shares this obsession for posting and reposting everything they see on online that interest them. With an array of devices from mobile phone to pc’s and tablets, 30% of you spend more than one hour a day on various social media sites during working hours. It is no wonder why productivity is decreasing worldwide.
7. Social Media is booming so fast,it is unprecedented. There are 100 million Google searches and 36,000 new profiles on Facebook monthly, not forgetting the 100 million YouTube videos played daily in this region alone! With number like this staring you in the face, it is obvious why your store is empty. Just look here and here
8. Another interesting paradigm shift is in the in the way people are choosing to access the Internet. Gone are the days when you could get away by telling your boss “I am away for the weekend. I’ll check the e-mail next week.” With technology today, you are expected to check your e-mail on the go. With the growth of high speed broadband and 4G networks in the region, you are now able to watch a movie from the top of the highest point in the UAE with no problems. This is why data consumption on mobile in the region has more than doubled in just the last year and is set to quadruple within the next two years.
So the moral of our little story here is this; if you would like to increase revenue of your business, you need to start thinking ahead of the crowd (and their phones). There is no better time than now to go digital. Think Digital Advertising, SEO SEM with Google AdWords and most importantly think of creating a mobile website. The possibilities are endless online, it’s time to move forward and get on board.
The chances of you reading this off your mobile device are relatively high, and so are all your potential customers. We can help you manage in the entire transition process with complete ease and help you create a digital strategy that will educate and entice your target audience ensuring you are their top of the mind brand, sharing your content with their friends and helping you grow your business. Because isn’t sharing caring?